Chapter 2 begins! Spread 18
Here is the first spread of Chapter 2. More text below.
Sorry to give you a simple spread after leaving you hanging for 2 weeks. Don't worry, actual art is coming very soon.
Here's an update of things I've been thinking about.
- I have 47 more spreads before I have all of reMIND Vol. 1 online.
- With a spread every Monday, my last page will go live on February 7th, 2011.
- I've been told by CrossBlue that March is the best time of year to print in China. (right now)
- That leaves me exactly 1 year before I need to find about $10,000 to cover the printing.
- I finally just called Regent and talked to some very nice people who were very helpful and are getting me a quote ready.
- I've officially received 2 donations for $20.
- If I put away $100 a month I could save $1200 in a year. (gulp)
- If I sell some of my originals then I could help pay for printing too.
- I need to set up a donation page for people interested in sponsoring reMIND to get their name printed in the book.
- I even submitted this project to Kickstarter.com because a few people suggested it.
- I still need to finish coloring Chapter 3.
- I have about a week to finish getting my package ready for the Xeric Foundation.
I keep having a battle in my mind if I can pull this off or not. 10k is a lot of money. I spent 14 thousand on a new car over 10 years ago and it took me years to pay that off so what makes me think I can gather 10 thousand in less than year. I know what your thinking, I should have started saving three years ago when I started this thing. The problem is, I had no idea what it cost or what I was doing three years ago.
When I talk about this kind of subject, I've noticed there are usually two kinds of people and two different responses to what I'm trying to achieve. Either I hear:
- WHAT, ten thousand dollars!
- That's crazy!
- Your crazy!
- That's a huge risk!
- You can't get that kind of money in a year!
- It's impossible!
Then their are the (sometimes) surprising reactions of people saying things like:
- Good for you!
- 10K sounds like a reasonable price.
- It's a good thing your doing it all yourself so you can own it all!
- You'll find a way to get the money!
- Very Smart!
- I bet you could get it paid for by investors or something.
Now, over the years I've had many pipe dreams that seem impossible at the time. Believe it or not, many of them have turned into a success stories. The thing that makes them successful (in my mind) is all about attitude. If you think the world sucks then the world is going to suck for you. If you think that there is plenty of opportunity just waiting to be found then many opportunities will find their way in front of you. More precisely, you will notice the opportunities that others missed because they are to consumed with how badly the world sucks.
Now I have to admit, I've read a lot of motivational books and if you have trouble getting past your own negativity then I'd strongly recommend a few off the top of my head that still stand out to me.
Lead the Field – Earl Nightingale (my personal favorite)
So to sum this all up. I am very nervous about this whole thing but I'm dedicated to pushing forward and trying things like the Xeric Grant as well as Kickstarter.com. I don't know which road will work out in the end or if I'll have to figure out a completely new way of getting reMIND printed but I believe it will happen one way or another. In the meantime I'll just keep focusing on getting the final pages colored.
Once again, please vote at TopWebComics and tell your friends to come see reMIND!